Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Best Sandwich Ever

Though I can't take credit for the idea, this is totally the most delicious vegetarian sandwich combination you'll ever have. I used to get it at a sandwich shop called Darwin's in Cambridge, Mass, but when I got sick of paying $8 for one portion, I decided to buy all the ingredients so I could re-create it at home. The only difference is the original sandwich incorporates huge, thin slices of carrot. If you can find a giant carrot somewhere and slice or peel it diagonally, definitely do it. I just leave it out because there's a lot going on here already.

The At-Home "Hubbard Park"

Sliced crusty bread (ciabatta, sourdough, French, or pretty much anything other than traditional sliced sandwich bread will do)
Honey Dijon mustard, preferably a little spicy*
Thinly sliced tomato
Thinly sliced green apple
Sprouts of your choice (alfalfa, clover, or pretty much any kind will do. I actually used pea shoots tonight because it's all I had on hand)
Plain hummus**
Thinly sliced cheddar cheese (optional, if you want a vegan version)
Sliced avocado (make sure it's ripe or it's just going to suck!)

* I didn't have an adequately flavored mustard in the fridge, so I mixed Dijon mustard, honey mustard, and a little horseradish mustard to acheive the right sweet and spicy ratio.
** I made my own hummus by blending a can of chickpeas, the juice of one lemon, 3 cloves of garlic, a liberal drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper in a food processor until smooth.
















Spread hummus on one slice of bread and honey mustard on the other. Layer all the other ingredients in between in whatever way you want, but it helps to smash the avocado into the bread a little bit first so the rest of the veggies/fruit will stick to it.


















This can be kind of hard to eat with all the ingredients trying to slip out as you bite into it, but believe me you'll want to get this sandwich into your face at any cost!

No comments:

Post a Comment