Monday, May 3, 2010

Vegan (and way better for you) "Philly Cheese Steak"

Though I spent most of my childhood living outside Philadelphia, I can't say I've ever had an actual Philly Cheese Steak. I tried one from my elementary school cafeteria many many years ago and it was so disgusting that even while I still ate meat, I never wanted to eat one again.

What that introduction basically means is, I have no idea if this Vegan "Philly Cheese Steak" tastes anything like the real thing. But it's pretty awesome! And it takes no time at all.

1/2 of a bell pepper, cut into strips
1/4 of a large white onion, sliced
3-4 slices soy or real American cheese*
4 slices  Tofurky Brand "Philly Style" steak slices
1 hoagie roll, sliced in half
1/2 - 1 tbs. olive oil
Mayo or Vegannaise (optional)
Hot sauce to taste (optional)

*I used soy American-style cheese because it melts into a goopy cheez-whiz type texture, but you can use real cheez-whiz if you feel so inclined. That just happens to be an ingredient I'm not a huge fan of.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and toss the roll in there to get it warm.
In a medium pan, heat the olive oil and saute the peppers and onions over medium heat until soft. Lower the heat a bit, then lay the Tofurky slices in the pan (it doesn't matter if things are overlapping, they're all gonna be on top of each other in the sandwich anyway).
Cook the slices for about a minute, making sure they don't stick to the pan or get too browned. Next, lay a cheese slice over each "meat" slice. Cover the pan with a lid to help the cheese melt. When it just starts to melt, use a spatula or some kitchen tongs to transfer everything into the warmed hoagie roll (spread the mayo on first if you're using it). Put the sandwich back into the oven until the bread is crispy and the cheese is fully melted - be careful not to let the bread get TOO toasty. Drizzle on hot sauce just before eating, if you're using it.

This would work great with Light Life Steak-Style Strips, if you prefer those.

aaaand here it is....

No comments:

Post a Comment