Friday, April 30, 2010

Quick Sandwich Idea: Tempeh Reuben

For some reason, I've just recently begun eating tempeh with any sort of frequency. Actually, today marks the first time I used it in my own kitchen. Maybe the fact that it's made of fermented soybeans used to turn me off a little, but it's definitely growing on me.

So for anyone who likes tempeh or wants to try to start (this stuff has 20 grams of protein per serving holy shit!!!) here's a tasty sandwich idea inspired by a vegan version I had at a restaurant the other week:

Easy Tempeh Reuben

2 slices rye bread
2 slices Swiss cheese
Sauerkraut
A few strips of tempeh (basically as much as you want/will fit on the bread)
Russian or Thousand Island dressing

If you have a toaster oven, it will probably make this even easier, but I don't, so I used a regular oven. 


Preheat your oven to 375. In a skillet, start frying the tempeh in a tiny bit of butter or oil - keep the heat fairly low because it seems to get smokey and burn easily. Put one slice of cheese on each slice of bread, and add sauerkraut on one or both slices. Throw them in the oven so the cheese melts while you fry the tempeh until just lightly browned. When the Swiss cheese is melted and the sauerkraut is warm, add as much dressing as you want and assemble the sandwich.

Side note: If you're really into this flavor combination, another great thing to "Reuben-ize" is a veggie dog.

1 comment: