Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Screw McDonald's - The CFC Sandwich

Not all vegetarians do it for health reasons, and though I try to eat well most of the time (and I promise most of the recipes I post will be pretty good for you), I love making veggie versions of the junk and comfort food generally reserved for carnivores. Recipes like this may not be the healthiest vegetarian options, but imagine how many calories you save by using fake bacon over the real thing.

Here's something I made for dinner that I've decided to call a CFC Sandwich - that stands for Chik'n, Fake-Bacon, and Cheese. I know it needs a better name. Pretty self-explanatory, but maybe some of you haven't thought to put these particular ingredients together on a bun before - I only did for the first time today. The best part is the "special sauce" I basically pulled out of my ass. I thought it was decent, but my mom acted like it was the greatest condiment she'd ever tasted! I guess you can be the judge.

CFC Sandwich with Apparently Awesome Sauce

1 hamburger bun (I used a potato bun because I'm from Pennsylvania and we tend love them over here)
1 Quorn breaded "chicken" patty OR a vegan alternative since Quorn contains egg white
1 slice Cheddar, American, or Swiss cheese (soy cheese is fine of course)
2 strips fake bacon - Smart Food is the most delicious but I only had Morning Star in the freezer today

For the sauce, I didn't measure the ingredients, but I'll try to give an idea of how much of each to use. It's really a matter of taste, so as long as you mix these things together in some ratio it should taste good.

2-3 spoonfuls lite mayonnaise or vegannaise
2 squirts ketchup
2-3 squirts mustard
1 spoonful sweet relish
1/4 spoonful of Sriracha chili sauce (if you want some spice)
A few shakes paprika
A few shakes turmeric
Ground pepper

Yeah I really just mixed ketchup, mustard, relish, and mayo with some spices. If you don't like one of those condiments you could probably omit it and the sauce would still be fine.

Toss the patty into a 425 degree oven and set a timer for 18 minutes. When there are around 7 minutes remaining, put the fake-bacon strips in a pan and prepare according to box directions, but don't let them get TOO crispy. When there are about 3 minutes remaining on the patty, put the cheese slice on top of it so it can melt. You can also put the bun in the oven (ha ha) to get it toasted. When it's done, assemble the sandwich and devour!





No comments:

Post a Comment