Sunday, April 25, 2010

"Eggy Sandwich"

Recently my friend was telling me about the "Eggy Sandwich" she used to make every morning in college - because apparently her dining hall actually let students use something other than those 2-minute waffle irons. It seemed like an extended version of "Egg in a Frame," which I'd been making ever since I saw the recipe in a cookbook I had as a kid (it was illustrated by Richard Scary, of all people.) And it seemed delicious, save for the use of actual bacon. I haven't had eggs in a while, but my mom had some in the fridge, so here's a veggie version of the "Eggy Sandwich" that I assembled this morning:


3 pieces of whatever kind of bread you want, I used potato because it was laying around
1 egg
1 slice cheese (I used cheddar)
A few strips fake bacon, today I used Smart brand. Each strip only has 20 calories so use as many as you want, I used 4
Butter or Earth Balance to coat pan
Pinch of salt
Ketchup if you like it

Using a knife, carefully cut the center out of one of the bread slices, making sure you leave enough of a border to keep it from tearing. Put the two other bread slices in a toaster (don't turn it on yet). Heat the butter in a pan and add the bread "frame." Crack the egg into the empty middle, making sure you keep it contained. Sprinkle a little salt on the egg for flavor.

In a different pan, start preparing the bacon strips according to box directions. Also turn on the toaster at this point - set it for medium. If you time it right, everything will be done when the egg is.

When the bottom of the framed egg is cooked through (and before the bread is burnt) flip it over. Put the cheese slice on the upright side. If you want the egg cooked through completely, wait about 15 seconds before putting on the cheese, otherwise just lay it on right away. Cover the pan with a lid so the cheese will melt. Keep checking it, as this will happen quickly (probably less than 70 seconds).

When the toast is done, put ketchup on the slices if you want. I criss-crossed 2 slices of fake bacon on each slice. When the framed egg is cooked to your liking, carefully remove it from the pan and sandwich it between the two slices of toast with bacon.

Once again, a bad cell phone picture (it's the only camera I had today) but you get the idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment